UN INT Intro Text w/ Responsive Image - *Important Note* You must UNLINK this shared library component before making page-specific customizations.
Across the country, reports of animal neglect, deaths, legal violations, and injuries to the public have piled up at SeaQuest aquariums, which are owned by Vince Covino.
Here's just a glimpse of the issues so far:
- At SeaQuest's Las Vegas aquarium, former employees reported seeing birds stepped on and killed, turtles crushed by children, and an octopus boiled alive when the tank's water temperature changed. An otter also died at this facility, and a capybara escaped while being transported in an open truck bed.
- The Littleton, Colorado, location failed multiple prelicensing inspections. When the state denied its request to operate temporarily until it received a final permit, it opened anyway, resulting in state officials issuing the facility a cease and desist order. The aquarium then reportedly gave 80 birds to a teenage employee in an attempt to circumvent the need for a permit. It also violated the law by importing three mammals into the state without permits. Officials found the animals being held in the basement of a SeaQuest manager's home.
- Within a month of the grand opening of the Folsom, California, aquarium, a stingray kept in a touch tank died—and was reportedly discovered by visitors, not staff. At this same location, another visitor captured video footage showing that it took minutes for staff to return a fish to the water after the animal jumped out of an uncovered tank.
A company that neglects animals for profit, ignores the law, and brings controversy and bad publicity to the community doesn't belong at these malls—or anywhere.
Please contact Layton Hills Mall in Layton, Utah to express your disappointment over its support of SeaQuest aquariums:
Then, using the form below, please take a moment to express your disappointment to the following malls:
- The Boulevard Mall in Las Vegas
- Jones Lang LaSalle
- Palladio at Broadstone in Folsom, California
- Ridgmar Mall in Fort Worth, Texas
- River Ridge Mall in Lynchburg, Virginia
- Southwest Plaza in Littleton, Colorado
- Westfield Trumbull in Trumbull, Connecticut
- Woodbridge Center in Woodbridge, New Jersey